Our free or low cost workshops and seminars provide useful, practical small business information on a variety of topics important to your business. We have a great many workshops and the schedule is always being updated so come back to our website for details.
Topics include the following and many others:
eCommerce and Social Media
Financing a new business
Are you ready to be an entrepreneur
Becoming an Independent Consultant
Buy/Sell a business
Click to Download Summary Schedule
|Simple Steps for Starting Your Business (New Cycle)
|Norwalk Public Library 1 Belden Ave. Norwalk, CT 06850
Workshop times -6:00 pm - 8:30pm
If you have any questions please contact SCORE Fairfield County at 203-831-0065 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to start a business but do not know where to start? This workshop series, conducted by a team of professionals from the SCORE Norwalk Chapter, will give you the boost to get you on your way!
Tuesday, January 13 - Self-Assessment/Business Plan
Tuesday, January 20 - Marketing Strategy & Research
Tuesday, January 27 - Marketing Execution
Tuesday, February 3- Financial Reporting & Planning
Tuesday, February 10 - Funding Sources/Conversation with Entrepreneurs
Seating is limited. Registration is required.
Participants will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the program.
|Setting Goals and Staying On Track
|Westport Library, Westport 20 Jesup Rd, Westport, CT 06880
Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:00pm - 9:00pm Check in at 5:30pm
It’s easy for small business people to feel overwhelmed by day-to-day events and frustrated by their inability to achieve consistent growth. But day-to-day events can be shaped by the business owner to a far greater extent than they think. The solution lies in a 3-step process:
1. Defining clear business goals – your sales and earnings targets
2. Creating clear action plan priorities – the pathways to goal achievement
3. Setting clear measurement milestones – the feedback required to stay on track
This workshop will give you pragmatic, straightforward tools for setting meaningful goals and increasing the odds of consistently achieving them. You will learn:
• What is a goal and why goal setting is such a success driver.
• How to set business goals utilizing market analysis, business trends, and the “SMART” approach.
• How to cascade those goals through critical action plan priorities with clear outcomes, timing, accountabilities, and cost.
• How to “measure what matters” and set up monthly guideposts – Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s). Specific suggestions will be made across the key business functions: Sales, Cost & Cash, Organization, Service, and Marketing.
• How to break down your critical functions into a repeatable project management process so that timing and accountabilities are clear.
• The key components of a Monthly Business Review.
|The Legal Issues of Social Media
|New Canaan Library 151 Main Street New Canaan, 06840
Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm | check-in at 5:30 pm
You will learn "state of the art" answers to the most pressing questions involving social media, including:
• Do you have privacy rights when you post something on Facebook?
• Can someone post information about you online without your permission?
• Who owns a Facebook or Twitter account?
• Can you use information on someone else's Facebook page without their permission?
• Can you be sued because of something you say on Facebook or LinkedIn?
• Can you be sued if somebody else says something bad on your Facebook page?
• Can employers restrict their employees' social media activities?
• Can the Government (or a hostile person) use your social media postings as evidence against you?
• Do you have to charge sales taxes when you sell something on a social media website?
|Technology Trends that are Changing Small Business
|Ferguson Library 96 Broad Street Stamford, CT 06901
Monday, January 12, 2015 6:00pm to 7:30pm Check in at 5:30pm
Technology doesn’t stand still…. And neither do the people or the businesses that use it. The computer has revolutionized how and where we work. Whether you have a “bricks and mortar” storefront, or you’re a “road warrior” with mobile devices the question will ALWAYS be, “What’s next?”.
• Change – How far should your business go and when
• Mobility – Running your business when you’re out of the office
• Connectivity to Customers – What’s replacing TV, radio and print
• Document Availability – Online but what are the pitfalls
• Security – Basic requirements and how you achieve them
• Analytics – Resources for planning your next moves
|Running a Nonprofit Organization
|Darien Library 1441 Post Road, Darien CT 06820
Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm | check-in at 5:30 pm
This workshop will describe the 4 key components for operating a successful nonprofit organization and will provide case studies on the ways nonprofits use business practices to grow their organizations. You will learn:
• What are the features of high performing nonprofit organizations?
• Why are strategies and business planning important?
• What resources are available to help nonprofits be more effective?
• Lessons learned from two nonprofit leaders who are implementing growth plans for their organizations.
|How to Develop a Business Plan in Six Easy Steps
|St Lukes Episcopal Church 1864 Post Road Darien, CT 06824
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:00pm -8:00pm
Check in at 5:30pm
A business plan is an essential road map for business success, but few small businesses ever complete a plan due to over-complicated approaches that entail too much theory, writing and detail. This workshop will give you pragmatic, straightforward tools for setting goals, developing action plans for achieving them, measuring how you are doing on a ongoing basis and adjusting according
• What is a Business Plan and why should a business owner develop one?
• The "Business Plan Express" method for existing businesses
o How to research the market - your industry, customers and competitors
o How to analyze your own business
o How to define/refine your business niche
o How to set business objectives
o How to create a simple action plan to achieve your objectives
o How to set up monthly tools to monitor your progress against your goals
|Westport Library 20 Jesup Road Westport, CT 06880
Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm | check-in starts at 5:30 pm
Get more of the right things done. Do you find yourself overloaded with work? Feel so stretched to the limit you can't set priorities? Exhaust yourself daily without accomplishing your goals? This seminar will help you identify causes of procrastination and indecision, pinpoint personal time-wasters and increase your concentration and focus. You’ll learn to schedule your time more effectively, stay on track and keep important goals top of mind, so you can stay in balance and be more effective and productive.
• Understand personal style and its impact on time management
• Examine new time management strategies and techniques
• Learn to communicate assertively
• Apply tools designed to help determine priorities
• Apply tools to help make good decisions under pressure
• Select tools and techniques to apply back on the job
|Client Relationship Mastery: Client Retention
|Rowayton Library 33 Highland Avenue, Norwalk, CT 06853
Thursday, January 22, 2015
7:30 – 8:30 pm Registration at 7:00 pm
Client Relationship Mastery™ is the solution to the problem: "How do I keep my clients for the long term?" Whether large or small, all companies have similar client retention challenges. 80% of your future profits will come from just 20% of your existing customers. Are you doing all you can to make sure your clients stay with you? You will learn:
• Why some sales professionals constantly repeat the initial sales cycle, having to replace clients in their pipeline instead of adding to it.
• Key steps you can follow to ensure your clients will want to remain with you for the long term.
• Tangible tips you can implement immediately to build strong client relationships and be seen as your client's "go-to" partner, not another vendor on the bench waiting to get in the game.
• The science behind buyer behavior and why certain sales and business practices are more effective.
|Marketing to Mobile Devices
|Thursday, January 22, 2015
Weston Library 56 Norfield Road, Weston, CT 06883
A highly interactive session exploring how mobile devices are changing consumer behavior. This workshop provides practical information on how to build a relationship with your customers using mobile devices.
You will learn:
• Intro on consumer mobile behaviors (increase reliance upon Smartphones for search, use of Yelp, Google dominance, price comparing in store, etc.)
• Platforms for mobile - WordPress and others; tips for making your website mobile compatible.
• Mobile myth busting - 75% of all mobile impressions are viewed within the home - consumers are engaging content across multiple devices everywhere
• Discussion of how to help your customers find you more easily via:
o Mobile search marketing
o Mobile promotion
o Email (still a powerful tool!)
o Social Media - how to use simple, creative social media tactics (Instagram, Twitter, etc.) to build love for your brand/business. We will also cover examples of big brands getting clever and how small business can compete using similar tactics!
|Making the Break from Employee to Consultant
|Ferguson Library 96 Broad Street, Stamford, CT 06901
Monday, January 26, 2015 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Check In at 5:30 p.m.
Learn the 8 P's of consulting success: Prepare, Phantasize, Plan, Productize, Promote, Perform, Persist, re-Phantasize. This workshop will cover:
• Assessing if you are ready to be an independent consultant
• Describing your consulting practice
• Detailing key elements of a marketing plan
• Valuable tips from management consulting for those choosing to stay with corporate employment
|How Financial Statements Help Run the Business Now and for the Future
|Westport Public Library 20 Jesup Rd, Westport CT 06880
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Check In at 5:30 p.m.
Knowing how financial statements work can help you run your business better now and help you estimate the financial value of your growth strategy.
• The purposes and uses of the 3 major financial statements: the P&L, theBalance Sheet, and the Cash Flow Statement
• How the financial statements work together to help you better understand your business
• Some key financial ratios which illuminate your customers strengths and weaknesses
• How to build use financial statements to estimate the financial value of your growth strategy.
|Preparing for Business Disruption and Disaster Recovery
|Greenwich Library 101 West Putnam Avenue Greenwich, CT 06830
Thursday, February 5, 2015 Noon – 2.00pm
Every business is at risk daily from systems down to major natural disruptions: the fire next door, the tree bringing down the power lines to another Sandy.
You will take away with you a 10 page “Business Continuity Plan”. You will learn how to:
• Identify and assess your risks
• Define your critical business functions
• IAssure Security and availability of data and information
• Assure continuity of supplies
• Establish your insurance needs
• Build a stronger Business Operations Plan